One of my favorite fall activities is apple picking. When I lived in Western Massachusetts there seemed to be a U-pick sign at every intersection. They're a little harder to find now that I live in Los Angeles. So, instead of heading to the orchard, I decided to bring the apple picking fun home.
This magnet game is adorable and easy to make, and it even has baskets for hauling your load. It's not quite the same as a day at the farm, but it's a fun fall activity for a rainy day.
Craft how-to and apple picking game instructions after the jump.
Here's what you'll need:
Plastic berry baskets
Brown, green and beige card stock
Colorful fall scrapbook paper, 4 patterns
Circle paper punch
Thin cardboard, from a cereal box
4 small magnets
Wooden dowels, 6" long
Thin yarn or embroidery thread
hot glue gun
For the Baskets:
1. Cut 28 strips of brown and beige card stock approximately 1/2" thick.
2. Weave the card stock strips through the sides of the berry baskets. You will use 6 strips on each basket. Fold the edges of the card stock strips inside the basket to hide them. If you have loose ends you can also glue them down.
3. Try alternating the beige and brown card stock. Make a basket for each player, there can be up to four players.
4. Once your basket is woven, add a handle. Slip a strip of card stock vertically, through the side of the basket, creating a handle. You can decorate your baskets with ribbons or scrapbook paper apples.
For the Apples:
1. Use a circle paper punch to make 20 cardboard circles. You will need 40 circles of scrapbook paper, 10 of each pattern.
2. Cut small green leaves from the green card stock, you will need 20.
3. Spread glue on one side of the cardboard circle.
4. Add a green card stock leaf.
5. Place a circle of scrap book paper on top of the glue and leaf. Spread glue on the other side of the cardboard circle and top with the scrapbook paper. Slip a paperclip stem onto the apple.
6.You will create 20 apples total, five of each pattern of scrapbook paper.
For the apple picking rods:
1. You will need 4 buttons, 4 small wooden dowels, masking tape, hot glue, yarn and 4 small magnets.
2. Pull the yarn through the holes in the buttons and knot the ends. You will want about 7" of yarn hanging off.
3. Wrap the end of the yarn around the end of the dowel, and tape it securely with the masking tape.
4. Once the button is hanging from the dowel, use hot glue to attach the magnet to the button.
5. You will want 4 rods all together, one for each player.
How to play:
This game is designed for anywhere from 1 to 4 players.
1. At the start of the game assign each player a pattern, or color. These are the apples she will be trying to pick.
2. Place the 20 apples in the center of the table and let each player have a turn "picking" their apples with the magnetized rod. If you grab an apple that isn't yours you must return it to the pile. If you grab an apple in your assigned pattern you can drop it into your basket.
3. The first player to pick all of her apples is the winner.
If you are playing alone set a timer, see how many apples you can pick in under a minute.