How cute is this Princess Party centerpiece??
I love it -- it's sweet, whimsical and fun...
Oh, and it's made from a lampshade!! Yup, a lampshade.
This project is perfect for your next party, or for decorating a princess-themed bedroom.
Of course, there are TONS of princess supplies on the market, but a lot of them are a little too flashy for my taste -- sequins, magenta, just too much bling. I wanted to create something soft, sweet, and homespun. I spotted a tall narrow lampshade at Ikea and knew I could turn it into the perfect princess palace. A little felt, a little hot glue, and you have a place any princess would be proud to call home.
A tall narrow lampshade, I used SKIRMA from Ikea
Felt in assorted colors
** NOTE: the decorated lampshade is no longer safe for use on a lamp.
1. First we will make the edge of the turret. Take a piece of felt and fold it in half the long way. Cut along the fold. Now, fold one half of the felt again and cut along the fold.
2. Now you have two strips of felt about 2" wide.
3. Use your ruler to measure 1" by 1" squares, cut out every other square and set aside the scrap squares, you will use them later.
4. Use hot glue to secure the felt turret around the narrow end of the lampshade.
5. Use hot glue to attach a ribbon right under the the felt turret. I like the look of a gingham ribbon, but choose whatever ribbon you like or have on hand.
6. Cut a door and windows from felt. Choose different colors for the door and the windows. Glue a ric-rac ribbon to create a texture on the door.
7. Add details to the tower like a heart-shaped door knob, and ribbon flower boxes filled with felt flowers.
8. finally, glue on your felt square scraps to create the look of stone bricks. Group them in twos and threes and scatter them over the tower.
** Note: the decorated lampshade is no longer safe for use on a lamp.