Harry Potter fans are sure to approve of a tree filled with owls. This cute little hoot is made from a walnut -- such a budget-friendly way to decorate a tree!
My favorite part is that instead of hanging on hooks, these little birds perch on the branches using pipe cleaners.
Did you know that a group of owls is actually called a parliament? Who knew?
Check out the tutorial and then create your own parliament of Christmas owls.
You will need:
Walnuts, in their shells
Green and brown felt
brown or green pipe cleaners
Small red pom poms
1. Cut two small teardrop shapes from the brown felt, these will be wings.
2. Use hot glue to attach the wings, and then paint on a face.
3. Cut out two small teardrops as his top feathers. Glue these to the top of his head.
4. Fold your felt in half and cut out a holly leaf, cut through both sides of the felt to create two identical leaves.
5. Cut a pipe cleaner in half. Put a dot of glue on the lower back of the owl and glue the center of the pipe cleaner to the back of the owl.
6. Glue on a holly leaf to cover the spot where the pipe cleaner and walnut meet.
7. Glue the second holly leaf to the front. Glue on small red pom poms as the holly berries.
8. Once dry, wrap the pipe cleaner around a tree branch, perching your owl on the tree.
Try making a variety of owls by painting the walnut and playing with felt colors.