When you have a baby, your freedom to do whatever you want has its own limits. That’s a given fact. Your whole world will revolve around your child, and you can probably get your personal time during bathroom breaks only. But that doesn’t have to be the case. If you’re an active individual before you became a parent then it’s still possible to enjoy those certain activities without resorting to giving up your personal freedom.
For cyclers, this is very good news because there are tons of accessories that can help you still enjoy the benefits of cycling while still keeping an eye on your kid. One of these is a bike trailer and this is what I’m going to talk about today.
A bike trailer is a kind of trailer you hitch onto your bike where your kid can sit on it so that you can go riding together. It’s the perfect option if you still want to get out on your bike and spend good quality time with your family. But how do you buy the best bike trailer for kids? Are their guidelines to follow? Well yes, there are.
In this article, I’m going to enlighten all parents out there who want to purchase the best child bike trailer so that they can enjoy the physical activity of biking together as a family. I will include a buying guide, some products rated by actual Amazon users, major factors to consider when buying, as well as other tips that can help you choose the perfect trailer your family needs.
|Picture||Model||Editor Ratings||Our Review|
|Allen Sports Steel Bicycle Trailer|| (4.6 / 5) |
|Aosom Elite II 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer|| (3.9 / 5) |
|Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bike Trailer|| (4.3 / 5) |
|Burley Design Bee Bike Trailer|| (4.7 / 5) |
|InStep Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer|| (4.4 / 5) |
Best Child & Baby Bike Trailer Reviews
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Child & Baby Bike Trailer Reviews
- 2 Best Child and Baby Bike Trailer Buying Guide
- 3 Summary
If you want a trusted, high-quality brand then go for Allen Sports Steel Bicycle Trailer. It is a lightweight steel construction trailer that can safely and comfortably transport 2 kids up to 100 lbs. body weight. Its features include a foot guard tube to protect your children’s feet, a 16” inflated rear wheels with safety harness and safety flag, as well as a folding design and quick release wheels for easy storage and transportation.
Allen Sports Steel Bicycle Trailer got a whopping average of 4.6/5 stars in Amazon for its excellence and stability. Users love how this trailer moves effortlessly well in the road. Even with 2 youngsters on board, it is not difficult to pull. The steel wheels feel exceptionally sturdy and have no issue holding air in the tires.
It also has two securities on the front. The first is a mesh made to prevent any rock and gravel from hitting the children. The second one is a plastic cover which can go over the mesh and is for keeping the rain away. It is perfect for any weather so if you don’t want to miss out on this awesome deal, you should definitely check this out.
This child bike trailer is one of the best double bike trailers in the market. Aosom Elite 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer got an average of 4.0/5 stars in Amazon because of its high performance on durability, accessibility, and overall usage. You can use this to ride your bike together as a family, go on runs or if you just want to stroll and take your baby out for a walk.
The top features of this product include a full suspension system that makes the trailer very comfortable for your kids and helps the stroller move across almost all kinds of terrain, and a hand lock brake system on rear wheel so you can easily lock the stroller when you want to park.
No tools are needed to set up or break down this trailer. It’s very easy to use and highly economical. Its front tire can swivel easily for strolling, for jogging, and can be removed during use in a bike trailer. Easy-peasy, right?
Some users commented how their kids love Aosom Elite 3in1 Double Child Bike Trailer and don’t want to get off. Its design is sleek and child-friendly and will definitely catch off your kids. It is well-built and can easily be folded for storage. All in all, it is a great product that you should check out.
Check out the Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle trailer if you want to have the best bike trailers for kids. It has a 2-in-1 canopy that includes a bug screen and weather shield, perfect for rainy afternoons in the park or in the city. This product also boasts of its flexible bike coupler that appends to most type of bikes, and a stroller kit with revolving front wheel and handle bar. Its frame is made from aluminum, making it lightweight for easy handling, and the 20-inch pneumatic tires provide nothing short of optimum performance.
Amazon users rated Schwinn Trailblazer Double Bicycle trailer with an average of 4.4/5 stars. No doubt they were all impressed by this excellent piece of technology. It has a rugged built and has plenty of room for 2 kids. It can also act as extra storage when you have some errands to run, or if you have to buy some few things at the grocery store. So don’t miss out on this. Put this on your checklist and I won’t be surprised if this becomes one of your best choice trailers.
Short on cash but still want to purchase the best bicycle trailer? Then save yourself the trouble and buy the Burley Design Bee Bike Trailer. The company that manufactured this awesome product targets the families on budget who want to have their own cycling adventures, but don’t want to give up security and safety. With this product you definitely don’t have to. It has four top features that will surely give some more expensive brands a run for their money.
- Spacious Rear Cargo Area – All Burley child trailers have extensive space in the rear for basic cargo like a kid’s knapsack, grocery bag or diaper. They all fit in the back nicely with still room to spare. The under-seat cargo barrier keeps the load in the back and the kid’s toy or snacks in the front.
- Hammock Style Seat – This is to make sure that your child won’t sit on the floor of the trailer. Burley’s standard helmet pocket and five point harness system are the key elements of the design of this seat for added comfort. If you would want to add padding with extra adornments, then you can use the Velcro included in the seat.
- Fold Flat Design – The front to back fold flat design enables you to compact the trailer in a streamlined manner after releasing two red latches at the top frame bar. While the 20-inch push button wheels with pneumatic tires give the required freedom to explore city boulevards or trails, and effectively expel to store.
- Visibility – Staying visible is a top priority while biking. This is to avoid accidents especially on highways with low light. Good thing, Burley offers splendid yellow 600 D polyester cover highlights reflective piping and reflectors on wheels. Other security features include: reflectors on the front and back of the trailer and a neon orange Safety Flag.
This amazing product got an average of 4.8/5 stars on Amazon. It’s top of the line, very high-end and one of the top contenders in the market for best baby bike trailers.
For family city dwellers on a budget, check out InStep Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer. Its quality features include 16-inch pneumatic tires with molded rims that allow for smooth riding, a folding frame and quick release wheels to enable easy storage, and a sturdy steel frame that comes with a free weather shield.
Amazon users rated Instep with an average of 4.4/5 stars mainly because it’s really affordable, highly durable and easy to assemble. Perfect for on-the-go city dwellers because of its no-fuss system and its adaptability to the usual change of weather in the city area. It’s not as expensive as other Amazon brands, but you’ll never even notice because of its precise engineering. Undoubtedly one of the best bike trailers for kids in the market.
Best Child and Baby Bike Trailer Buying Guide
There are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to purchasing the best kid bike trailer that is perfect for your family’s needs. Aside from reading bike trailer for kid’s reviews, there are some major considerations you need to check out also, as well as balancing the pros and cons in owning the said product. This buying guide will help you organize your search in order to save money and lessen the grueling time needed to find the right bike trailer for your kids.
Benefits of Using Bike Trailers for Kids
A great form of workout
It really can’t be helped that parental duties can sometimes get in the way of staying in shape. But having kids doesn’t mean you have to give up exercise. With this accessory, you can still find time to enjoy cycling and keep active without skimping on your responsibilities as a parent.
Although you can’t go on a fast pace with a bike trailer attached, it’s still great strength training. You can work out a routine, keep dynamic, and take the children to places you would normally go on the bike yourself.
Quality time with the kids
It’s a great approach to get some quality time with your kids. Let your children experience having fun outside rather than keeping them inside your home all the time with nothing to do. You can create early adventure memories for your kids, get them some fresh air, and have a deeper bond with them.
Possible Cons of Having Bike Trailers
- Increased Travel Time – You must keep in mind that using a bike trailer will make your life go at a slower pace than riding in a car. But if you’re just traveling over a short distance, especially in areas with high level of traffic congestion, this can be an advantage. Anyhow, it’s impractical to drive fast with your kids in tow, not to mention very risky and dangerous.
- Weather – It’s not just your health now. Naturally, your child’s well-being comes first and children are not equipped to deal with all kinds of weather just yet. So it’s not going to be a good idea, if for example, you ride your bike in a blizzard with your kid strapped on his/her trailer. Although it can be a limiting factor, most trailers have weather protection like rain covers and dust screens to protect your kids from both the heat and cold.
- Sweat (LOTS of it) – Even by yourself, your body takes its time at first to adjust to the level of endurance involved in cycling. Exercise isn’t always fun. Therefore, you must condition both your body and mind that cycling will never be the same as before, that climbing up a hill will take more energy and effort now, and you must still have the energy to play with your kids afterwards. Not to mention, buying a trailer may also entail buying new cycling garments as well. Is it worth it? You must ask yourself that before making a decision.
There are still some major factors to consider when buying the best baby bike trailer aside from knowing their pros and cons. First, you must take into account your child’s age and development. You have to know whether they are ready to undertake that level of physical activity and exposure. Ask your local physician for some tips.
Second, consider the type of activity you and your family wants to do now and in the future. Would you use the trailer for cycling, jogging, hiking or all of them? This is important because this will determine the kind of trailer you have to buy. There are several options and the potential for family adventures are high. With that in mind, I prescribe selecting a bicycle kid trailer that takes into account your most favorite activity and extending your alternatives from that point.
The third factor to consider are the features and accessories you might want to make your child bike trailer comfortable for you and your kid. Here are some examples:
- Stroller Attachments – This accessory allows the bike trailer to be converted to a stroller. The simplest stroller attachment can be a mere wheel at the end of the trailer arm, although they can be annoying to use. That’s why be sure to always purchase the trailer that can be converted to the type of stroller you want.
- Size of Trailer – When buying a trailer, the deciding element is the size and age of your children. While numerous trailers come in single and double versions, the internal cubic measurement of the trailer (i.e. the measure of space your kid has) has great difference between the brands. As anyone might expect, the higher-end trailers have a tendency to give more space than lower-end trailers. But that’s not always the case. These days, some manufacturers were able to make high-quality trailers that use economical materials, therefore making it budget-friendly. There are several lines of baby bike trailers that are all very easy to customize according to your personal preferences and needs, so make sure to check them out.
Amidst all the cuteness of having a baby, they can be a lot of work. This can be the case for the first few months, but as they grow up you must think of having a balance in your life in terms of exercise. Thankfully, most parents frequently love to share the things that they are into with their kids. For cycling and running lovers, it just so happens, kids and nature go actually together.
What could be more fun than sharing the experience of riding outdoors with your children? Thankfully, by purchasing the best baby bike trailer, you no longer have to wait for your kids to grow up before you can experience that kind of active lifestyle.
Many agree that the perfect time to bring your kids with you on your cycling trips is when they can sit straight and steadily, with a helmet that fits their head properly. It’s the perfect accessory when your kids start to ask questions about the world but not quite old enough to ride a bike on their own. For parents, it’s an opportunity to continue their dynamic an active way of life even after having kids. That’s why it is empirical to purchase the right trailer for you and your children. Follow the tips that I wrote above, do a little research, invest some time, and with the best bicycle trailer, you’re on your way to a fun family adventure.
Check out other cycling gears too!
- Bike Trailer
- Bike Repair Work Stand
- Road Bike Saddle
- Road Bike Pedal
- Mountain Bike Pedal
- Cycling Sunglasses
- Cycling Shorts
- Cycling Gloves
- Bike Helmet
- Bike for 4 years old