Dirt and other debris such as wood shavings might be accumulated on your toolshed after several working sessions. Ponds and pools may need to be emptied out. What is the best device for all of these cleaning jobs? The answer is having the best wet dry shop vac. This product can easily assist you in heavy duty cleaning for your entire house.
A powerful shop vac is made to tidy out all existing debris, whether dry or wet, in any workshop or even at home. In comparison, ordinary vacuum cleaners are not built to withstand a shop’s rubble and liquid muddle.
Cleaning will be a breeze with a shop vacuum. If you consider buying one, this article’s shop vac reviews can assist you in picking the best product that is well matched to your demands, including different brands of shop vacuums and the features they offer. The article will also give several uses of a shop vac and ten general tips on shop vacuum maintenance.
|Picture||Model||Editor Ratings||Our Review|
|Craftsman 12004|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Vacmaster VBV1210|| (4.5 / 5) |
|DEWALT DCV581H|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Armor All AA255|| (4.4 / 5) |
|Shop-Vac 5986000|| (4.2 / 5) |
Best Shop Vac Reviews
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Shop Vac Reviews
- 1.1 Craftsman 12004 6 Gallon 3 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vac
- 1.2 Vacmaster 12 Gallon, 5 Peak HP, Wet/Dry Vacuum Vbv1210
- 1.3 Dewalt Dcv581h 18/20-Volt Max Cordless/Corded Wet-Dry Vacuum
- 1.4 Armor All 2.5 Gallon, 2 Peak HP, Utility Wet/Dry Vacuum, AA255
- 1.5 Shop-Vac 5986000 5-Gallon 4.5 Peak HP Stainless Steel Wet Dry Vacuum
- 2 Uses of a Wet Dry Vacuum
- 3 Ten Tips on Shop Vacuum Maintenance
- 4 Conclusion
Belonging to one of the top rated shop vacs in the market today is the Craftsman 12004 6 Gallon 3 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vac. This shop vacuum is rated with an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Based on customer reviews, this vacuum has great suction power and is very workable for all-around home and shop cleaning.
This Craftsman vacuum runs with a 3 peak horsepower (HP) motor that shortens the time spent for cleaning. It offers a wide cleaning range of over 17 feet. Also, this product is equipped with a hard-wearing polypropylene tank that has the capacity of collecting 6 gallons worth of fluids.
The set includes a secure hose that is 7 feet by 1–7/8 inch in length, a cord about 10 feet long, two pieces of extension wands, and an additional 8-piece accessory set that can be used for any shop vacuum emergency. For convenience, it is equipped with a dust-sealed on and off switch to easily control the device and a handle on top of the tank to balance it.
Moreover, this wet dry shop vac is not limited to shop use since it can also be converted into a blower. This is convenient for clearing leaves and dirt on backyards, decks, and driveways. Basically, the Craftsman 12004 is not only made for indoor use but also for outdoors.
Overall, the Craftsman 12004 is a reliable and long-lasting vacuum that can assist you in effortlessly finishing small to medium jobs.
Next on the list of the best shop vac products is the Vacmaster Wet/Dry Vacuum. With 4.5 star ratings on its performance, this product is widely appreciated by users due to its powerful suction and a heavy-duty ability for work. Customers also love that this creates minimal noise compared to other brands.
This quiet shop vac is driven by 5 peak HP motor. It serves dual functions as a shop vac and a detachable leaf blower. The quick release blower option, which releases air at 210 miles per hour (MPH), can conveniently be accessed by simply pressing a button. This switch allows you to separate the blower when not in use.
With a total capacity of 12 gallons, this polypropylene tank can contain heavy amounts of dirt and water. The tank is equipped with an outsized drain port, enabling immediate emptying of the accumulated debris. It also has a top handle meant for balance and a dust-sealed on and off switch. Moreover, it has an accessory storage aboard, making it suitable for easy access of other shop vac parts.
There are 11 accessories that come with Vacmaster Vbv1210. The accessory list includes a hose that is 7 feet long, a 12-feet cord together with a cord wrap, a pair of extension wands, one car nozzle, one crevice tool, an 8-inch utility nozzle, one blower nozzle, an air and noise diffuser, one blower adapter, one standard cartridge filter, and a foam sleeve that you can reuse. A warranty valid for 2 years is offered when you purchase this product.
Another brand that has made into this best shop vacuum review is the Dewalt Dcv581h Vacuum. Ranked with 4.4 out of 5 stars, satisfied customers appreciate the portability of this device and the easy process of emptying it out without making a mess. Another highlight offered by this vacuum is its ability to run on both electric and battery power, making it more convenient to use in various areas that can’t be reached by cord.
Compared to the rest, this shop vac has the least fluid capacity of only 2 gallons. It has a 5-foot hose that is crush-resistant, thus making it hard-wearing, flexible, and easy to use. It can be activated either with a corded connection on an alternating current (AC) outlet or a cordless means by using either an 18 or 20-volt MAX battery. This is the only shop vac that can be operated with batteries. It is important to take note that the battery and charger for the DCV581H
This is the only shop vac that can be operated with batteries. It is important to take note that the battery and charger for the DCV581H is sold separately from this set.
It is equipped with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) rated filter that traps dirt with 99.97% efficacy. This filter can be retrieved with ease and can be reused by washing it with water. Moreover, the product has an onboard accessory storage and hose, making the vacuum more handy and portable.
The DCV581H also has two tool attachments, which include a crevice tool and a wide nozzle tool. Purchasing this shop vacuum is very helpful especially if you need a portable device that can clean hard-to-reach places since this can run with batteries.
Obtaining an average of 4.4 out of 5 stars from shop vacuum ratings is the Armor AA255All Utility Wet/Dry Vacuum. Based on customer experiences, its small and lightweight quality makes it very handy when cleaning. Not only does it weigh less than other shop vacs but also has a powerful suction, which is another feature loved by the users.
The AA255 is a small powerful wet dry vac with a polypropylene tank that has a fluid capacity of 2.5 gallons. Despite its size, it can accomplish heavy duty tasks. Powered by a 2 HP motor, this device offers great suction, along with a blower function. It automatically shuts off when it detects the limit, thus avoiding overflow.
Included in this product’s set are the following items: a cord sized 10 feet with a cord wrap, a 6 foot and 1.25 inch-sized hose, a cloth filter and foam sleeve that can be reused, a 2-in-1 nozzle, a crevice tool, an exclusive car nozzle, a blower nozzle, and a detail brush. Take note that the hose is located inside the canister of the tank. Assembling the parts is not needed.
ArmorAll claims that Armor AA255All is specifically engineered for cleaning your vehicle’s interior. In addition, this vacuum can also be converted into a blower for drying various objects such as motorcycles, grills, and wheels. Also, the shop vac shuts off automatically, thereby avoiding overflow and is equipped with a diffuser that prevents noise when in use.
Moreover, this wet & dry vacuum is secured with a top handle and an onboard storage for the accessories, making it convenient to carry. In addition, it also has an air and noise diffuser that creates minimal sound. Purchasing this unit is a great assistant for various cleaning projects. Vehicle owners will appreciate this product since it is designed for car cleaning.
Last but not the least is the Shop-Vac 5986000 Wet Dry Vacuum. This product has received a rating of 4.2 stars from people who have used it. This is the best small shop vac for most users since it has good suction powers, gets cleaning jobs done free from hassle, and can be purchased for a reasonable price. Also, some customers appreciate the filters of this product because they do not need constant cleaning. Interestingly, this particular brand is responsible for introducing the term “shop vac,” which is now derived
Also, some customers appreciate the filters of this product because they do not need constant cleaning. Interestingly, this particular brand is responsible for introducing the term “shop vac,” which is now derived as a general term that refers to all wet and dry vacuums being sold today.
The Shop-Vac 5986000 runs with a 4.5 peak HP motor. It has a tank made of stainless steel that has the ability to store up to 5 gallons of fluid. Aside from its vacuuming function, it also doubles as a blower. The blower port can be found at the back part of the tank.
In terms of structure, the shop vac has a dolly with roll wheels for the tank, which is created for easy transport. The power cord is 6 feet in length and has a non-board storage for the cord and other tools for the device. Other accessories included for the Shop-Vac 5986000 are the following: a large filter, a friction fit hose, three pieces of extension wands, a 10-inch wet/dry nozzle, a gulper, some crevice tools, a tool holder, a cartridge filter, and a collection bag.
Clean up food spills with this wet dry vac. Whether you knock over a glass of wine during dinner or drop a raw egg on the floor while cooking, you can clean up the food or drink spill with this shop vacuum.
Uses of a Wet Dry Vacuum
Since shop vacuums are engineered for both wet and dry clean up, there are many ways you can use it. This product is not limited for workshop use only, which makes it very helpful for accomplishing many cleaning tasks at home and in workshops. Here are a number of examples on how you can use a wet-dry vacuum that you can try out for yourself.
- Remove the clogs from your sink by using a shop vacuum. Place the hose as far as it can reach inside the drain. Instead of using the suction portion, set the vacuum to work as a blower.By doing so, the vacuum will eject air that will push back and break the clogging.
- Other than removing clogs, a shop vac can also be used to retrieve items that may have been dropped in the sink drain, such as a ring. However, this will depend on how far the item has been washed away.
- Use the shop vacuum as a regular household vacuum for cleaning your home. Standard vacuums are not built for wet cleanup. Thus, it is more convenient to use a shop vacuum if you have any problem cleaning up spilled liquids and other related mess. In relation to this, any liquid mess in the kitchen can be easily sucked clean by a shop vacuum.
- If you have a fireplace at home or anything that involves the removal of ashes, it is best to use a shop vacuum for cleaning. One precaution you have to keep in mind is that you must only vacuum the ashes when it has already cooled down. Otherwise, the heat emitted by the ashes might damage the wet dry vac.
- Similar to the fireplace, ashes from grills can also be cleaned by a shop vacuum.
- For snowy days, you can clear your patio, backyard, driveway, or any area that has snow on it by using a shop vacuum. Instead of the slow process of sweeping and shoveling, you can just use the wet dry vac to suction the snow.
- With a wet dry vacuum, you don’t need to buy a blower. It can be converted into a blower can be used for collecting leaves on your backyard.
- The blower function can also be utilized as an inflating device for items such as rafts and pool toys, which is very convenient especially if you do not have a pump at hand.
- Pet owners can also make use of the shop vacuum to collect the furs of their cats and dogs. This is very useful especially since pet hairs are difficult to collect and clean by hand.
- You can also clean or empty out an aquarium with this device. Instead of carrying a bucket of water for washing the aquarium, you can just fill the wet dry vac with water and dispense the needed amount. Refilling water is also an easier task with the shop vac.
- Carpet cleaning is also possible by using a wet dry vacuum. After brushing the carpet with cleaning detergent, you can now vacuum out any spill, stain, or debris on the carpet.
- This vacuum can also handle collecting fluids such as pond water or water that is flooding your house. It is important to know that you must transport the wet dry vac by the base. You should not pull the vacuum’s hose as it might get detached, overturned, or damaged. Also, be cautious when transporting and lifting a vacuum that contains liquid. The tank will be heavier than it was before, so bear in mind that there is an additional weight you need to support when moving the wet and dry vacuum.
Ten Tips on Shop Vacuum Maintenance
Just like any other tool or device, shop vacuums also need proper caring. Although these products are built with durability, it is still important to perform consistent maintenance. Regularly checking on your wet dry vacuum’s condition will guarantee its smooth operation and optimum performance for cleaning projects and prolong its life.
Every now and then, it is essential to check on your shop vacuum’s condition to ensure that there are no problems with the tank and its accessories. Here are ten general ways on how to care for your wet dry vac.
1. Check Your Shop Vac’s Filter for Any Sign of Tear or Other Damage: While doing so, be careful in handling the filter. Replace it if it does have any damage. Next step is to get rid of dirt and other debris from your filter. If you are using the filter for dry areas, simply remove it and then tap on the tank to loosen the debris. On one hand, if you use the vacuum for wet cleanups, it should be run through a hose or faucet.
This type of cleaning is applicable when removing fine dust particles from the filter. Make sure that the water pressure is not too strong because it may damage the filter. After rinsing, let the filter dry before putting it back into the tank. For filter bags used for dust collection, disposable bags should be thrown after use while reusable cloth filters should be rinsed.
2. Remove Any Obstruction That May Interfere With Your Vacuum’s Float and Filter Cage. If you detach the float while cleaning your shop vac, remember to place it back, facing its initial direction.
3. Wash Your Vacuum’s Drum. For the external portion, wipe it with a damp cloth. When cleaning the inside part of the drum, remember to empty out all of its contents then wash it with a mild soap and some warm water. Dry it out by wiping it.
If you need to sterilize it, pour in a mixture of one gallon of water and chlorine bleach (one teaspoon is enough) and make sure that it covers the entirety of the tank. Rinse the drum thoroughly until the bleach’s scent is gone. Wait for it to completely dry before returning the motor inside.
4. Determine the Proper Filter for the Cleaning Job You Are About To Do. Consult your unit’s manual and browse what filters should be used for cleaning dry areas and wet places.
5. Always Make Sure That the Unit Is Always Dry. Never store it with any water or other liquids in it because it might cause the growth of molds. Wipe the unit until you are sure that it is fully dry. You may use other devices to help make the drying process go faster, such as blowers.
6. When Not in Use, Check Your Hose for Any Foreign Object That May Block the Air’s Flow. Get rid of anything that may cause a jam in the hose.
7. Also, Take Time To Monitor the Vents of Your Tank. If there are any objects blocking it, it is advised to remove the debris. Failure to do so might cause your tank’s motor to overheat.
8. Remember To Always Unplug the Cord of Your Unit When You Are Finished Using It and Wrap It in Its Proper Place. Also, do not forget to check if there are any damages on it. If the cord is worn or cut, call the manufacturer to replace it. Leaving the cords in bad shape may cause accidents, such as electrocution.
9. Put Some Oil on the Wheels and Dolly of Your Unit. In this way, moving is made easier. But be careful not to place too much oil because this will just create another mess for you to deal with.
10. Last but Most Importantly, Always Keep Your Unit’s Manual. Always consult it for the do’s and don’ts of the product and follow the directions stated in the handbook.
Shop vacuums are multipurpose cleaning tools that can be used for many cleanup projects. Regular household vacuums are limited for tidying up dry areas whereas shop vacs can operate in both wet and dry environments. Moreover, another remarkable feature of shop vacs is their ability to be converted into blowers.